Gender Inclusivity in Mathematics (GIIM) is an organization dedicated to creating a community of mathematicians particularly welcoming to women interested in math and reducing the gender gap in Harvard’s math department. It was founded in May 2015 based off of feedback from the Gender Gap in Math Discussion and the Harvard Math Survey. This year, we are running a female mathematician speaker series, a discussion series, community-building socials, the National Math Survey, and WIMS, the first undergraduate women in math and statistics conference.
Welcome back to Harvard! GIIM will be hosting a variety of events to kick off the school year, including:
- An advising social on Wednesday, August 31 to help students (especially freshmen) pick math classes for next year. See more info here.
- A booth at the Student Involvement Fair on Friday, September 2 so freshmen and others can join GIIM! Come visit us; we’re at booth GS2.
- The first-ever Math Night on Monday, September 5 in Leverett Dining hall; see below for details.
- A kickoff social on Saturday, September 10.
- Our speaker series kickoff on Friday, September 16 at 6:00 pm featuring MIT Professor Gigliola Staffilani.
Check back for more details.
Need help finding a pset group? Think doing math is lonely? Come to Math Night!
Starting this semester, Math Night will be held every Monday night in Leverett dining hall from 8 pm onwards. You can find friends in your math class or other classes, work on your psets, or get help from your CAs, many of whom will be present. Extra special food will be served!
See more info here.
Co-President Vikram Sundar published an article in the Harvard Political Review analyzing the results of the Harvard Math Survey and proposing potential solutions.
Calendar and Mailing List
Keep up with our events by subscribing to our calendar here:
Receive updates about GIIM events by subscribing to our mailing list here.
If you have any comments about GIIM’s ideology or programming, please feel free to send an e-mail to GIIM at email@example.com.